San Diego Opera continues to develop their relationship with their community a large, with a season’s worth of noonish concerts that bring opera right to the people. Three lunchtime concerts put the stars of this seasons mainstage shows in the spotlight, both normalizing opera as a part of daily life and bringing a little glamour to San Diegans’ ordinary days. Could it be the best of both worlds? Read on…
Press release follows.
San Diego Opera presents
Opera on the Concourse
TIMELINE — October 5, 2017
Free Lunchtime Concerts on the Civic Concourse with the Stars of the Season
San Diego, CA – San Diego Opera is proud to announce the continuation of Opera on the Concourse, a series of free lunchtime concerts held for the public on the San Diego Civic Concourse with the stars of San Diego Opera’s season. Discontinued in 2007, the program returned in 2015 season, and attracts over 300 spectators per performance in a fun and casual concert recital. Opera on the Concourse continues San Diego Opera’s mission of providing accessible performances to the community. These free concerts, which start at noon and are roughly 45 minutes long, feature arias, duets, and ensembles from opera and musicals, picked by each of the performing artists and accompanied by piano.
Three concerts are scheduled:
- Thursday, October 19, 20017 at noon featuring the singers of The Pirates of Penzance.
- Thursday, March 11, 2018 at noon featuring singers of Turandot
- Thursday, March 22, 2018 at noon featuring the artists of Florencia en el Amazonas.
In the event of rain or other inclement weather, Opera on the Concourse will be moved inside the Civic Theatre and take place in the Beverly Sills Salon.
Visit http://www.sdopera.org/engage/opera-on-the-concourse for more information.
The 2017-2018 International Season
The Pirates of Penzance Gilbert & Sullivan October 14, 17, 20, and 22 (mat), 2017
As One Laura Kaminsky November 10, 11 and 12 (1 PM, mat), 2017
Maria de Buenos Aires Ástor Piazzolla January 26, 27 and 28 (mat), 2018
Turandot Giacomo Puccini February 24, 27, March 2, and 4 (mat), 2018
Florencia en el Amazonas Daniel Catán March 17, 20, 23, and 25 (mat) 2018
One Amazing Night – Greer Grimsley & Lise Lindstrom in Concert May 5, 2018
San Diego Opera Mission Statement
The mission of San Diego Opera is to deliver exceptional vocal performances and exciting, accessible programs to diverse audiences, focusing on community engagement and the transformative power of live performance.
San Diego Opera Vision Statement
The San Diego Opera will be recognized internationally as a leading example of adaptability, innovation and sustainability in the operatic arts, promoting diversified programming and unique performance venues with world-class and emerging talent.
San Diego Opera Core Values Statement
Through excellence in innovative programming and education, SDO provides a lasting cultural service to the community.
- Our tradition of excellence in fully staged opera is augmented with new models of opera and venues. Our unique and deep commitment to the community propels us to explore ways of increasing affordability and accessibility.
- Through fiscal responsibility and nimble adaptation to the changing marketplace, we protect the future of San Diego Opera.
- Our educational and community involvement coupled with relevant programming will build the audience of the future.