Today just happens to be the official anniversary of the start of Lauri’s List — although the exact date is estimated, approximately ten years ago today we started as a little distribution list in an email program. (If you really want to know, you can read our Listory.) We’ll celebrate after the holidays — be sure to register for our 10th Anniversary Party on January 6 in Pasadena. It will be a blast!
And of course, birthdays and anniversaries, as well as the holidays, celebrate with gift-giving. We’d love to pretend they’re doing this just for us, but it just so happens that one of our party’s sponsors, Old Town Music Company, is having a BIG deal today — Monday, December 10 — that you’ll want to take advantage of.
Today only (until 6:30pm), all in-stock classical vocal music is 20% off, in the store or over the phone — this is part of their holiday Advent Calendar promotion, offering a new deal every day, so you must act fast to take advantage of this. (See the other deals on their deal calendar: click the nutcracker at right to download.) You can also take advantage of a longer sale — all Christmas music is also 20% off.
How to redeem
Plenty of options:
- Go to the store at 42 E. Colorado street in Old Town Pasadena: the whole area is gorgeous this time of year, and there’s 90 minutes free parking in the structure on Green Street, just south of the store, between Fair Oaks and Raymond.
- Call (626) 793-4730 and speak with one of their associations, for pick-up or mail order.
- Order online at www.oldtownmusic.com: include “classical vocal special” in the instructions, and your discount will be applied when it’s processed.
Whether there’s something you need, or just something you’d like to find, call them NOW and speak with one of their associates. This is a great opportunity to
- use some of your holiday money to pick up that score or book you’ve always wanted.
- buy the perfect and much-needed gift for a student, teacher or colleague.
- stock up on music for your students.
- check out the stacks and find something you’ve never seen before.
A community treasure
We’ve talked about this SoCal landmark before, as owner Fritzie Culick has long maintained the mission of creating an environment for highly trained musicians as well as those just getting started. Her employees (including at least two of our Listers, currently, and once upon a time, yours truly) are professional performers and highly knowledgeable in their instrument or musical field, and you won’t get better in-person help or selection anywhere.
Brick-and-mortar businesses are struggling across the board, and our local sheet music stores need your help. If you live in Southern California, this is the very best place to buy classical sheet music, and no online vendor can offer the range of services that Old Town can. Please support OTMC and thank them for their ongoing support of the List. That’s what community is all about. (OK, that and great deals.)
Thanks to all the folks at Old Town Music Company, and happy holidays!